Tuesday, May 27, 2008

WAX JAMBU !!


This photograph is taken right after a rain, in front my home in Kerala. We call this fruit 'Chaampakka' in malayalam. I was googling the english term for this fruit and the name sounded very funny. "Wax Jambu".
There was a guy from trivandrum in our group of mallus in Syntel, six feet tall, and enough 'size' to match his height. Somebody named him Jambu (during the good old college days), relating to the character Jambavan of the Ramayana, and we continued the tradition. Jambu himself was happy to be addressed so. He was an unpredictable character, who is normally very calm and silent, but you never know when he breaks his shackles and bursts out. But I like the character. Good at heart in simle words.. :)
This one, 'wax jambu' alias Chaampakka is a tasty little fruit. In my neighbourhood, Praveen and Praveesh from 'Kayyala', had a Chaampamaram in front of their house and the little tree would almost all the time be full of this fruit. I enjoyed my childhood eating a lot of this in 'Kayyala'. My visits to Soman maman in Perambra would also fetch me lot of Champakka to make my taste buds happy. Perambra champakkas were as red as the roses below and were very sweet.
For those of you, who got a mouthful of water looking at the photo,... please excuse me.. I ate all of them.. alone !!! :P.

No comments: